The Early Years
During Colorado’s gold rush in the 1860s, some struck it rich but many did not. For the “unlucky” ones, farming and raising cattle often became their way of life. Some farming families settled in an area surrounded by beautiful red sandstone cliffs at the base of the Rocky Mountains -- an area known today as the town of Lyons.
Lyons, Colorado was founded in 1880 by Edward S. Lyon, who purchased 160 acres of land in the area and platted the town in 1881. The town of Lyons was incorporated in 1891.
Edward Lyon’s familiarity with quarrying and the natural red sandstone outcroppings in the area were the beginning of sandstone quarrying in Lyons. Quarrying grew to be a large and profitable business until cement was introduced around 1912, nearly wiping out the quarrying business. Noland, a nearby small supply town that grew during the boom years, suddenly became a ghost town. Several decades later, when a sandstone cutting machine was invented, the industry boomed again. Today, the same family owned quarrying companies are still in business.
Gateway to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park
Lyons is known as “The Double Gateway to the Rockies” because the town is located at the junction of the North St. Vrain Highway 36 (66) and the South St. Vrain Highway 7 -- two routes to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.
Lyons, Colorado - Blending Yesteryear and Today
Some of the town remains just as it was over a hundred years ago. Lyons has fifteen sandstone residential and business buildings listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Over the years, the demand for homes in this little Colorado town has brought new homes and new subdivisions. The old and the new blend into a uniqueness that gives Lyon’s its character.
If you’d like a glimpse of Colorado’s history, come to Lyons -- the little Colorado town framed by beautiful red sandstone cliffs.
Copyright © Peggy Reed - All Rights Reserved
Site Design: Windy's Design Studio, LLC